Swire Pacific Ltd., a company listed in Hong Kong, is part of the Swire Group which has its beginnings in a modest Liverpool import-export company started in the early years of the 19th century. The following milestone years chart the significant developments which form the Swire Pacific group of today.
2000 - Present
- Swire Hotels opens EAST, Beijing at INDIGO in Jiangtai, Chaoyang District.
- HAECO and Cathay Pacific form joint venture HAECO ITM to provide Inventory Technical Management services.
- Swire Properties and Sino-Ocean Land jointly open INDIGO in Beijing.
- Swire Properties launches OPUS HONG KONG, the first residential project in Asia designed by Pritzker Prize-winning architect Frank Gehry.
- Hong Kong Airport Services Limited (HAS) forms a joint venture company for the provision of airport ground handling services at Shanghai Pudong International Airport and Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport. The partners in the new company, which is named Shanghai International Airport Services Co., Limited, are Shanghai International Airport Co. Limited, Shanghai Airport Authority and Air China.
- Swire Resources acquires the exclusive distributorship for luxury French shoe brand Repetto in Hong Kong.
- Swire Pacific Offshore acquires a 70% shareholding in Singapore-headquartered offshore logistics service provider, Altus Logistics Pte Limited.
- Swire Pacific Offshore acquires Seabed AS, a Norwegian company that specialises in subsea services.
- Swire Properties Inc. is to develop Brickell CitiCentre, a major mixed-use development in Miami, Florida.
- HAECO and subsidiary, TAECO, have jointly acquired a 49% shareholding in Shanghai SR Aircraft Technics Company (SR Shanghai), from SR Technics, a leading provider of technical solutions to the global aviation industry. The company has been renamed Shanghai Taikoo Aircraft Engineering Services Company Limited (STA).
- Swire Properties is listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange on 18th January 2012.
- Swire Resources acquires the franchise for the French fashion brand Chevignon, in partnership with the original Hong Kong licensee.
- Swire Pacific Offshore takes delivery in Qingdao of the last two of its eight new "P" Class Anchor Handling Tug Supply vessels.
- Cathay Pacific tops out the new Cathay Pacific Cargo Terminal at Hong Kong International Airport.
- Swire Properties submits a listing application to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange for permission to list and deal in its shares on the Main Board of the Stock Exchange. The listing of the Swire Properties shares would be by way of introduction achieved by a distribution in specie by parent company Swire Pacific of approximately 18% of the Swire Properties shares.
- Swire Resources opens its new flagship Catalog store at Sanlitun North in Beijing, Mainland China.
- Swire Properties opens TaiKoo Hui in Guangzhou, Mainland China.
- Swire Properties sells its Festival Walk shopping complex and office tower in Kowloon Tong to a wholly-owned subsidiary of Mapletree Investments Pte Limited for a cash consideration of HK$18.8billion.
- Cathay Pacific signs an agreement with Boeing to purchase another four Boeing 777-300ER passenger aircraft and eight Boeing 777-200 freighters. The 12 new aircraft have a list price of about HK$25.6 billion and are expected to be delivered between 2013 and 2016.
- Hong Kong Aero Engine Services opens its Component Repair Centre of Excellence Phase V, a US$50 million investment.
- Taikoo (Xiamen) Aircraft Engineering Company opens its sixth hangar at Xiamen Gaoqi International Airport.
- Swire Pacific Offshore Operations (Pte) Limited places an order for four Havyard 844 XL, 17,850 BHP Anchor Handling Tug Supply Vessels.
- Swire re-enters the Hong Kong automobile market with the opening of a new Swire Motors Fiat/Alfa Romeo dealership.
- Cathay Pacific and Air China jointly launch Air China Cargo (ACC).
- Taikoo Motors Group subsidiary Yuntung Motors becomes the exclusive distributor in Taiwan for Vespa scooters.
- Swire Pacific Offshore excercises its option with Samsung Heavy Industries in Korea to build a second Windfarm Installation Vessel for its subsidiary, Swire Blue Ocean.
- Taikoo (Xiamen) Aircraft Engineering Company is appointed by Airbus Industrie as its first approved cabin completion centre for corporate jets in the Asia Pacific region.
- Cathay Pacific enters into an agreement with Airbus S.A.S to buy 15 more Airbus A330-300s and a separate agreement with The Boeing Company for ten more Boeing 777-300ERs. It also signs a deal with aircraft leasing company International Lease Finance Corporation to add two more Airbus A350-900s.
- Swire Pacific Offshore acquires four new UT786 Clean Design, 16,314 bhp Anchor Handling Tug Supply Vessels.
- Swire Pacific enters into an agreement to form a joint venture with Campbell Soup Company to develop the growing soup market in Mainland China.
- Swire Properties in partnership with Sino-Ocean Land successfully acquires land for commercial development in Chengdu at a price of RMB2,002.88 million.
- Swire Properties and HKR International Limited sign a RMB8 billion loan facility for the Dazhongli project in Shanghai.
- Swire Pacific increases its Cathay Pacific shareholding to 42.97%.
- Swire Properties launches "AZURA", a residential project in Mid-Levels West.
- HAECO celebrates 60th anniversary.
- Swire Properties and Dickson Concepts sign an agreement to introduce a new Harvey Nichols flagship store to Pacific Place.
- Swire Properties announces the launch of EAST, Beijing, a lifestlye business hotel, in INDIGO, Jiangtai, Chaoyang district.
- Swire Pacific sells its entire shareholding in Crown Can to Crown Packaging Investment (HK) Ltd.
- Taikoo Sichuan Aircraft Engineering Services Company Limited (Taikoo Sichuan) opens its new facilities in Sichuan.
- Cathay Pacific places an order for 30 new A350-900 aircraft, its biggest ever single aircraft purchase.
- Following share realignment, Swire Pacific increases its HAECO shareholding to 74.99%.
- Swire Pacific and Cathay Pacific agree to sell their entire interests, 19.998% and 10% respectively, in Hong Kong Air Cargo Terminals Limited (HACTL) and HACTL Investment Holdings Limited (HIHL).
- Swire Pacific decides not to proceed with the spin-off and Global Offering of Swire Properties in the light of the deterioration of market conditions.
- Swire Properties and HKR International Limited enter into an agreement with Bank of China under which Bank of China will arrange and underwrite a syndicated loan of up to RMB8 billion for the Dazhongli project.
- Swire Properties' subsidiary TaiKoo Hui (Guangzhou) Development Company Limited enters into an additional agreement with the Bank of China Guangdong Branch to increase its term loan facility to RMB2.65 billion for the development of the TaiKoo Hui project.
- Swire Properties forms a strategic partnership with Mainland developer, Sino-Ocean Land, to explore and acquire new development opportunities in China.
- Swire Properties opens EAST, a lifestyle business hotel in Hong Kong's Island East. The 345-room hotel is managed by Swire Hotels.
- The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) signs an agreement with Swire Properties' subsidiary, Taikoo Hui (Guangzhou) Development Company Limited, to lease up to 27 floors of its Grade A office development at TaiKoo Hui in Guangzhou.
- Cathay Pacific and Air China sign a Framework Agreement to establish a jointly owned cargo airline. The two companies will use an existing cargo airline, Air China Cargo Co Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of Air China, as the platform for the joint venture.
- Swire Properties' flagship mixed-up development in Guangzhou, TaiKoo Hui, is topped out.
- Swire Coca-Cola Taiwan becomes a wholly-owned subsidiary.
- Cathay Pacific Services Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cathay Pacific, signs a supplementary agreement with Airport Authority Hong Kong to defer completion of its new air cargo terminal to mid-2013.
- Swire Properties signs an agreement with Bank of China for a RMB 2 billion five-year term loan facility to finance construction of TaiKoo Hui in Guangzhou.
- Swire Pacific, Air China and CITIC Pacific re-align their shareholdings in Cathay Pacific, bringing Air China's shareholding in the airline to 29.99% and Swire Pacific's to 41.97%.
- Cathay Pacific Airways sells 20,700,958 shares, representing 12.45% of its shareholding, in Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Company Limited at HK$91.83 per share to Swire Pacific Limited.
- HAECO opens third hangar at Hong Kong International Airport.
- Swire Hotels opens The Upper House at Pacific Place, its first luxury hotel in Hong Kong.
- Swire Pacific is considering the possibility of a separate listing on the main board of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong of the shares in Swire Properties. No application for such listing has been made and no formal proposal has been put to the Stock Exchange.
- HAECO opens a new composite repair facility and a tyre retreading facility at Jinjiang, Fujian Province.
- Taikoo (Guangzhou) Sugar Ltd. opens a new packaging plant in the Guangzhou Development Zone.
- Taikoo Motors subsidiary Liberty Motors acquires the exclusive distributorship of Škoda in Taiwan.
- Cathay Pacific's wholly-owned subsidiary, Cathay Pacific Services Limited (CPSL), is awarded a 20-year franchise by the Airport Authority of Hong Kong to construct and operate a new air cargo terminal at Hong Kong International Airport.
- HAECO and TAECO sign an agreement with GE Pacific Private Limited and General Electric Company to purchase a majority shareholding in GE Engine Services (Xiamen) Company Limited (GEEX), owner of an engine overhaul facility in Xiamen. The HAECO shareholding will be 75.01% and the TAECO shareholding will be 10%. In addition, Cathay Pacific Airways Limited will take a 9.9% shareholding. The GEEX facility will be renamed Taikoo Engine Services (Xiamen) Limited (TEXL). Concurrently, TEXL and GE enter into a GE branded service arrangement for a period of 22 years under which TEXL will become the GE authorised and supported GE90 engine shop in Asia. The total transaction value including the facility cost and the branded service arrangement amounts to US$107.8m.
- TAECO signs an agreement with Airbus to develop the expertise required for the creation of a cabin completion centre in Mainland China for Airbus corporate and business jets.
- Far Eastern Landfill Technologies, a subsidiary of Swire SITA, launches its new Landfill Gas (LFG) treatment system that treats LFG at its North East New Territories Landfill and transmits the compressed gas via a 19-kilometre pipeline to the Towngas plant in Tai Po.
- Swire Properties forms a 50:50 joint venture Sino-Ocean Land Holdings Limited to develop a retail-led mixed-use project in the Chaoyang District of Beijing. Located near Jiang Tai, the project will have a gross floor area of over 1,890,000 square feet on a site of approximately 630,000 square feet. Swire Properties' total investment in the development is estimated to be approximately RMB2 billion.
- Swire Properties forms Swire Hotels, a new company that aims to create and manage small luxury hotels in Hong Kong, Mainland China and the United Kingdom.
- Swire Hotels opens The Opposite House in Beijing.
- Swire Properties opens the Sanlitun Village in Beijing.
- Swire Pacific Offshore forms a 50:50 joint venture with Athens-based Five Oceans Salvage Consultants Limited. The new company, Swire Ocean Salvage (Pte.) Limited, will provide salvage, wreck removal and emergency towage services to ship owning and insurance interests across the world.
- Swire Pacific Offshore sets up a joint venture company Lamor Swire Environmental Solutions Pte Ltd.
- HAECO and TAECO form a joint venture partnership with UK-based aircraft tyre manufacturer Dunlop Aircraft Tyres. The new company, Dunlop Taikoo (Jinjiang) Aircraft Tyres Limited, will operate a new aircraft tyre re-treading facility to be operational in early 2009.
- Swire Pacific acquires a 41% shareholding in Coca-Cola Bottlers Manufacturing Holdings.
- ICI Swire Paints is renamed Akzo Nobel Swire Paints Limited, following the takeover of Dulux paint manufacturer ICI by Holland's AkzoNobel.
- Taikoo Motorcycle Ltd. acquires the Harley-Davidson distributorship in Taiwan.
- Swire Properties acquires Tai Sang Commercial Building in Wanchai for HK$1,360 million.
- Cathay Pacific takes delivery of the first of 23 new Boeing 777-300ER "Extended Range" aircraft. The new aircraft is fitted with Cathay Pacific's new three-class products and a brand new inflight entertainment system offering audio and video on demand in all three classes.
- HAECO breaks ground for the construction of its third aircraft maintenance hangar at Hong Kong International Airport.
- Swire Pacific Offshore acquires all the assets and business interests of the Salvin Far East group of companies, providing a platform for SPO to service the survey segment of the offshore oil and gas industry.
- Swire Pacific forms a joint venture with SkyWorks Capital LLC and Air China Development Corporation (Hong Kong) Limited, with each partner assuming one-third ownership. The new company, SkyWorks Capital Asia Limited, provides a range of financial advisory services to aviation industry participants throughout the Asia Pacific region.
- HAECO signs joint venture agreement with Air Arabia to set up HAECO Sharjah Aircraft Maintenance Company Limited in Sharjah. HAECO will look after all the maintenance requirements of the airline.
- Swire Properties partners with Gateway Capital to develop a 54,000 square metre site in Beijing's Sanlitun district into a low rise mixed commercial complex. Swire Properties holds 80% interest in the project's two retail portions and 100% stake in a boutique hotel.
- HAECO sets up a wholly-owned subsidiary, Singapore HAECO Pte Ltd. (SHAECO), to provide line maintenance services at Singapore Changi International Airport.
- Swire Beverages acquires Xiamen Luquan Industries Group which was a partner in its Xiamen bottling facility.
- HAECO opens its second hangar at Hong Kong International Airport.
- Swire Properties signs conditional agreement with HKR International to purchase a 50% interest in the latter's Dazhongli Project in the Jin-an District of Shanghai.
- Swire Properties acquires Alias Hotels PLC in the U.K.
- HAECO and TAECO enter into a joint venture contract with Cathay Pacific Airways, Japan Airlines, Shaanxi Liaoyuan Hydraulic System Co., Xiamen Aviation Industries Co. and Xian Aircraft International Co. to establish a landing gear servicing facility at Xiamen Airport.
- Cathay Pacific acquires Dragonair as its wholly-owned subsidiary and establishes cross shareholding with Air China.
- Cathay Pacific takes delivery of its 100th aircraft.
- HAECO announces plans for a third hangar in Hong Kong. Its master franchise for line and base maintenance has been extended to 2036.
- Swire Beverages opens its plant in Huizhou, its largest on the Mainland.
- TAECO announces plans for its sixth hangar.
- Festival Walk becomes a wholly-owned development after Swire Properties acquires the CITIC Group's entire 50% interest in the project.
- Swire Pacific Offshore takes delivery of its first Ice-Breaking Supply Vessel, the E Class ice breaking vessels, the 4,300 dwt Pacific Endeavour.
- Swire Coca-Cola Hong Kong acquires HealthWorks ready-to-drink beverage business in Hong Kong.
- Taikoo Motors Taiwan is appointed sole importer of Volkswagen's Commercial Vehicles in Taiwan.
- HAECO signs an agreement with the Airport Authority to build a second hangar at Hong Kong International Airport.
- Cathay Pacific launches daily freighter services to Shanghai.
- PUMA Hong Kong Ltd, a joint venture with Swire Resources and PUMA AG, is established.
- Cathay Pacific acquires a 10% shareholding in Air China.
- AHK Air Hong Kong confirms options to buy two more Airbus 300-600 General Freighter aircraft for delivery in May and June 2006.
- Swire Properties acquires a 20% shareholding in Richly Leader Limited, following the latter's provisional agreement to purchase PCCW Tower in TaiKoo Place.
- Swire Guangdong Coca-Cola (Huizhou) Limited starts construction of a new bottling plant in the Huizhou Zhongkai Hi-tech Development Zone.
- Swire Properties completes construction of Three Pacific Place.
- HAECO increases its stake in TAECO to 54.55% by buying the remaining 5% stake held by SIA Engineering Company.
- Cathay Pacific launches a pioneering new non-stop service between Hong Kong and New York City.
- TAECO participates in the Boeing 747-400 Special Freighter conversion programme.
- Cathay Pacific orders eight regional aircraft, to be delivered between 2005 to 2007.
- TAECO starts work on fourth hangar.
- Swire Properties increases its stake in TaiKoo Hui Guangzhou Cultural Plaza from 55% to 97%.
- Cathay Pacific will be launch customer for Boeing's new converted B747-400 Special Freighter from passenger aircraft.
- Taikoo Motors signs dealership agreement with Volkswagen AG to distribute Volkswagen commercial light vehicles in Taiwan.
- TAECO's third hangar goes into operation.
- Hacis and the Airport Authority have formed a joint venture to operate the Air Cargo Consolidation Centre in the Futian Free Trade Zone in Shenzhen on the Mainland.
- Cathay Pacific operates its first flight to Beijing in 13 years.
- Taikoo Motors withdraws from the motors business in Hong Kong.
- Swire Pacific forms a 50/50 joint venture with China Eastern Airlines Co. Ltd. The new company, Shanghai Eastern Airlines Swire Investment Co., will focus on investment opportunities in airport management and related services in Mainland China.
- AHK Air Hong Kong signs purchase agreement for six new Airbus Industrie A300-600F "General Freighter" aircraft to be delivered between the second half of 2004 and first quarter of 2005.
- Cathay Pacific sells an additional 10% of Air Hong Kong to DHL Worldwide Express. With this transaction, Air Hong Kong will be 60% owned by Cathay Pacific and 40% by DHL.
- Cathay Pacific acquires the 25% interest held by Shun Tak Holdings in AHK Air Hong Kong for a cash consideration of HK$194 million, making the all cargo carrier a wholly-owned subsidiary of the airline.
- Swire Properties and Guangzhou Daily News have signed an agreement to develop TaiKoo Hui Guangzhou Cultural Plaza, a mixed use complex, at an investment of RMB4 billion.
- Cathay Pacific announces the purchase of six aircraft to be delivered in 2003 and 2004.
- Swire Pacific sells its 49% interest in Schneider Swire Ltd.
- Cathay Pacific and DHL Worldwide Express (DHL) sign a joint venture agreement under which DHL acquires a 30% stake in Cathay Pacific's wholly-owned subsidiary, Air Hong Kong, an all cargo carrier. Relative to this agreement is the announcement that DHL will develop and operate the Express Cargo Terminal at Hong Kong International Airport.
- Swire Properties (55%) signs a memorandum of understanding with Guangzhou Daily (45%) to develop a mixed-used complex in the Tianhe district of Guangzhou.
- Cathay Pacific announces orders for seven aircraft.
- Swire Pacific Offshore announces orders for six new offshore support vessels.
- Swire Pacific sells its entire interest in the Carlsberg Brewery joint venture.
- Swire Pacific, through Swire Net Ventures, becomes one of the eight joint venture partners of Asia2B, a business-to-business e-commerce venture.
- Swire Properties acquires 981 King's Road, a site next to TaiKoo Place.
- Swire SITA Waste Services Ltd acquires a 15-year contract to develop and operate the Northwest New Territories Transfer Station at Yuen Long, and a 20-year contract to operate and mainten a new waste-to- energy incineration plant in Taiwan.
- Swire Properties receives government approval to build Hong Kong's first privately initiated elderly housing project.
- Hactl launches Superlink China Direct, a high speed trucking service to transfer air cargo between Hong Kong International Airport and Guangzhou's Baiyuan Airport.
- Hacis acquires 49% in Chu Kong Air-Sea Union Transportation Co. which will develop a marine cargo terminal and facilitate intermodal transport in the Pearl delta area.
- Nanjing BC Foods Co. Ltd. adds a new extension to its Coca-Cola bottling operation.
- Swire Pacific Offshore forms a joint venture company Offshore Solutions Ltd.
- Beldare Motors, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Taikoo Motors, acquires the exclusive distributorship of Volkswagen passenger vehicles in Taiwan.
- Swire Resources opens the first Catalog store.